Friday, November 17, 2006

Why is my browsing speed so slow on my new Ubuntu machine?

Well, I'm no networking expert and I can't say that this will solve your problem. But then, I had to note it down for my own reference and who knows, may be you are having the same problem!
In a nutshell, on my machine, the DNS lookup was taking way too long - much longer than other windows machines on the same subnet. Turns out the windows boxes were connected to an Active Directory server which also happens to be a local DNS server. Those guys were getting fast response and my poor ubuntu box wasn't!
So, what's the answer? Switch back to windows?????? NO WAY!! :)

Check this out:

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/08/02/local-dns-cache-for-faster-browsing/


It took me exactly 5 minutes to get this working on my box, and I think I'll recover those 5 minutes within the next two days!
Rock on, Ubuntu!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?